It’s time for a few changes here at American Preppers Online.

Hello, my friend and welcome back!  First, let me say “Thank you” to all of my loyal readers who have stuck with me while my eyes healed.  You are the reason I am returning to writing this blog.

When I first started writing this blog, I did it because I wanted to share the knowledge I have picked up over the years, to help others prepare for SHTF in +whatever form it may take.    The trouble is that I now find myself sharing the same information that can be found anywhere on the internet.  I want to give you the reader something you’re not seeing on other sites, but yet, still imperative to you surviving SHTF when it comes.

As a result of this, I have been searching the internet and Prepper websites to try to find a subject line that is missing from many if not all of the others.  Over the years I have given you a high-level overview of surviving, and I think it’s time I gave you something more. I think we can all agree that whatever form SHTF takes, it will last for many years afterword’s if not decades.

No matter how many preps you have saved up, or tools you have in your supplies, they will all eventually fail you.  Then what?  It’s not like you can run to “Wally World” +and buy a new item to replace the one that broke.  You will need skills and knowledge to continue to survive in the aftermath of a major SHTF event.  Do you know how to make a wooden bucket or replace those plates and bowls from raw materials?   Not just at a high level, but the knowledge to actually do it is what I find missing from most of the Prepper Websites.  This will be the new direction of this website and I hope you will enjoy it.

Now, because I will be going into much more depth in the post, I need to reduce the number of post from one a day, to one or two a week.  Each post will be much more in-depth and where I can, I will include videos and images with them.  I hope to make them much more interesting and enjoyable to you the reader and hopefully help you survive and thrive in a time when other people can’t.

I’m going to start out this new direction with a video that will help you learn how to make a wooden watertight bucket.  After the video, I will discuss my thoughts and Ideas on the subject, so grab a cup of coffee and have a seat, my friend, while we watch the video “Traditional Cooper – History and how to make a wooden bucket.”   Uploaded to YouTube by Sidney Living Museums.

Now I don’t know about you, but the first thing that came to my mind was “Where would I get a metal strap to put around it?  One idea for this would be using old bicycle tire rims and beating them flat after removing the spokes.  I would think you could also use heavy solid wire and twist the ends together instead of using Rivets.

So how do you calculate the angle of the edges to make the wood fit together and be watertight?
I did some checking and this is what I found:

Finding the bevel angle. The bevel angle has nothing to do with the diameter, although it seems like it should. The bevel angle is purely a function of the number of staves: the combined angles of all the joints must always add up to 360 degrees in order to have a complete circle. So, broken down: Bevel of board 1 + Bevel of board 2 = 360 degrees/number of boards. Since the bevel on each board is the same, you can reduce that to 2 x bevel = 360 / number of boards, or bevel = 360 divided by the number of boards divided by two. In this case, that’s:

Bevel = 360 / 24 / 2 = 7.5 degrees

Now, as far as rivets go, you could cut up a nail or a piece of old bicycle spoke into short pieces and use them instead.

Just remember, buckets have been built since man was living in caves almost, so it can be done.  Knowing these simple concepts, however, will go a long way in helping you build buckets and containers when the time comes.

Well, I guess that’s it for this week, and I hope you have learned something.  Until next time, stay safe, stay strong and stay prepared.  God Bless America!

Prepper, Patriot, and Proud U.S. ARMY Veteran.

You may also like...

12 Responses

1. Hal says:

Looking for suggestions?

2. Huggy says:

Howdy, Sarge!
    Glad to learn you are healing and still willing to provide valuable information to those willing to search out for fixes to keep forging ahead after a SHTF scenario. The service you provide is appreciated and I, for one, intend to keep following along and learning all I can, so Thank You for all you do, Pardner!
    Concerning this specific topic, what is shown and discussed in some detail is the math that is required to determine the angles required to achieve the proper cuts to ensure a tight fit, and it brought to mind a subject that bears mentioning, and that is actually figuring out the MATH.
    How many folks these days are actually capable of doing math in their head or even with paper and pencil? And do you (we?) have stocks of both that will last after, say, an EMP event?
    Obviously I’m referring to having NO electronic calculators to do the figuring FOR US?
    I know “I” have gotten complacent (i.e., LAZY!) and tend to reach for a cheapie (or not) calculator whenever I’m in need of finding a solution to some oddball math equation.
    So what I would suggest for those, like myself (!) who are not a math genius, is to find and buy several books that have a variety of useful math equations that would show how to determine not only the basic circle but also ovals, elipse’s, cones, triangles and all other manner of surface exterior and interior objects along with quantities in gallons, liters and whatever may be of use.
    I have several small (pocket sized) quick reference books that I’ve used over the course of My career as an aircraft mechanic to determine angles for bends, etc., when working with various metals, but others that factor in woods, both for cutting, bending and shaping are but some examples and could prove to be invaluable!
    So finding pamphlets, manuals and quick reference books along those lines would be smart to acquire NOW to add to a collection much as we would want to have for first aid, gardening, animal husbandry, water finding, collection and purification are just a few to consider.
    I suspect that those items would be far more helpful and inclusive than researching via the internet NOW and printing them, not to mention the savings in terms of printing paper, ink cartridges printers and the like then compiling them into binders. That said, printing such information that isn’t easily found in the average book or which relate to a specific task not commonly thought of or used in everyday life WOULD be an expense better suffered NOW than one day in the future when it cannot be easily plucked from the internet, which may not be accessed when it all comes crashing down .
    Thanks again for putting it out there and keep up the good work!
    I appreciate all that you do, Sir!

3. David C Isaacs says:

As a long time woodworker (over 50 years), both traditional and modern, I found George’s video to be very informative and accurate. The unfortunate reality is that most folks will never be able to gather his exceptional collection of cooper’s tools, and thus, will not even attempt bucket making. Having personally made hundreds of buckets with both traditional and modern equipment, my hat is off to George for his craftsmanship and dedication to maintaining this dying functional art.

For anyone who wants to give it a try, I absolutely encourage them to “have at it”! I have successfully made traditional buckets utilizing little more than a few hand planes, a draw knife and hand saws. His demonstration on the making of bands is exceptional, and something that anyone can do using any anvil (or a found piece of railroad track from a scrap yard) and a yard sale splitting maul (to achieve curvature) and and ball peen hammer. I have gathered banding materials from my local scrap yard for very little cost, and they are pieces of iron that I use for many projects. Just remember…. time and patience are required and that wood is very forgiving!

Sarge… Thank you for all of the exceptional information and insight that you have put out over the years, and I applaud your new direction. You are filling a huge void and I look forward to many more of your posts. And from the bottom of my heart: thank you for your service. Our beloved nation needs more of you…

4. Dan says:

Greetings from Idaho Sarge! Glad to see you back. I look forward to articles instead of “Video Monday”.

5. Anonymous says:

Now you have the right idea Sarge. None of the prepper web sites have anything like. Sort of like hands on. Excellent Post.

6. yooper says:

Excellent post Sarge

7. william says:

Sounds like you got a winning idea. Good to have you back! John

8. Pat says:

Glad your better. I like forward to your post God bless you